Serves 6-8 People
Recipe Credit goes to Delicious Magazine and Ashleigh Brunner from BodyFusion Nutrition and Dietetics (www.bodyfusion.com.au)
- 3 x 400g eggplants, cut lengthways into 5mm thickness slices
- 1/3 cup (80ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cups (200g) almond meal
- 3 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthways
- 80g fior di latte cheese (from good delis- substitute mozzarella), coarsely grated
- 250g cherry truss tomatoes
- 250g fresh buffalo mozzarella, torn
- 2 x 400g tin of chickpeas, drained
- Basil leaves and store-bought pesto to serve
Chunky Tomato Sauce:
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs capers, rinsed, drained, chopped
- 650g roma tomatoes, chopped
- Optional: add 4 anchovy fillets, in oil, drained, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. Grease 3 baking trays and line with baking paper. Arrange eggplant in single layers across prepared trays. Combine oil, oregano and 2 tsp salt flakes in a bowl and burst over eggplant. Cover each tray of eggplant with a sheet of baking paper and roast for 40mins or until just cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside.
For the chunky tomato sauce, heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and capers, and cook, stirring for 3-4mins or until garlic is light and golden. Add tomato and 1 cup of water. Bring to the boil, then cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20mins or until tomato has broken down slight and sauce has reduced. Using a wooden spoon, stir to further break up tomato, hen set aside and cool.
Place almond meal in a shallow dish. Brush eggplant slices with a little of the chunky tomato sauce, then gently dip in almond meal.
To assemble lasagne, grease a 35cm, 1.5L ovenproof dish. Pour half the chickpeas over the base of the dish and then spread half the remaining tomato sauce into the prepared dish, then cover with half the zucchini and eggplant. Cover the zucchini and eggplant with the fior di latte cheese and spread over remaining tomato sauce. Top with remaining chickpeas, then layer zucchini and eggplant over.
Place a sheet of baking paper over lasagne, then enclose dish in foil. Bake for 45mins or until bubbling and tender when pierced with a knife. Increase oven to 220 degrees celsius and remove foil and baking paper. Top lasagne with cherry tomatoes and mozzarella and return to the top shelf of the oven, uncovered and bake for 20mins to until top is golden and tomatoes begin to blister.
Scatter with basil leaves and drizzle pesto to serve.