Fresh is best! This was definitely the moto my mum had growing up. She has always had a great way of throwing together what was in the fridge or fruit bowl and making it work and last weeks dinner inspiration was no exception.
Beetroot Salad: Serves 4
- 3-4 medium beetroots
- 1 spanish onion, quartered
- a large handful of snow peas
- 100g crumbed feta
- pumpkin seeds
- /3 cup Orange juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- Preheat oven to 180deg celcius. Wash beetroot and trim tops off. Place in a baking tray and put in the oven for 45mins. Put spanish onion into tray when there is 30mins remaining.
- Meanwhile top and tail snow peas and cut in half and place in a medium sized bowl.
- n a small non-stick frypan place 1-2 handfuls of walnuts and pumpkin seeds and a dash of olive oil on medium heat. Cook, tossing, for 2-3minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a small mixing jug place all dressing ingredients and stir well until combined.
- Once beetroot is cooked, remove from tray and allow to cool for 15mins. Using rubber gloves, peel the beetroot and cut into 2cm cubes.
- Add beetroot, spanish onion and nut mix to the snow pea bowl, add dressing and toss well to combine. Sprinkle crumbed feta over the top and serve.
Great as a side to lamb or chicken for dinner, or make enough left overs for lunch the next day. You can also add baby spinach and roasted sweet potato to this recipe as well.